PETITION FOR THE HILARIOUS JESSICA WILLIAMS TO GET HER OWN SHOW!
YES YES YES YES YES
The real question, though, isn’t about how they are related but why we have to debate about how they are related. In other words, what’s more progressive: casting a single black character in a historically all white superhero team, or casting two black characters in an all white superhero team? Why isn’t Sue Storm black? Yes, Hollywood racism being what it is, Fox execs may fear that two black actors in one movie might make their blockbuster less marketable. Perhaps a possible interracial relationship between Reed and a black Sue Storm might be too controversial?
The problem here is that in the ongoing conversation about black actors and superhero movies has always revolved around men. We sign petitions to get black actors to play Spider-Man, campaign for the Black Panther movie to get made, and fantasize about Idris Elba playing Batman. But (unless Halle Berry comes up) the same doesn’t happen when we’re discussing say, a Wonder Woman.
Even in Hollywood’s bid towards progress, it seems black female superheroes, just like black female anything in movies, are still seen as less viable. But why take the leap with Johnny Storm and not go all the way? It’s great that Michael B. Jordan is playing Johnny Storm, but it’s distinctly telling that Sue Storm isn’t a black woman. The new Fantastic Four cast may be surprising, yes, but truly progressive? Not at all.
Female friendships that work are relationships in which women help each other belong to themselves.
the thing i regret the most about getting a tumblr is that suddenly i’m staying up all night on this website instead of staying up all night reading a book
This is the most accurate thing I’ve ever read.
Tatiana Maslany at the Canadian Screen Awards 2014 on making headway by playing so many women in one show. (x)
Wow, I feel kind of bad now… I just ran a 5k for Autism Speak the other week… I didn’t know any of this.
Lots of people don’t! AS sets themselves up as the go-to org on all things autism, because they are huge shitbags with too much money. If you’re able to and feel like you should, there are orgs like the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network and the Autism Women’s Network that are way, way better. :)
this was the best filler episode of all time.
the atla fillers were so good half the time i didn’t even realize they were fillers
don’t judge people for taking selfies or posting them a lot some of us like how we look for the first time in our whole lives and that’s a big fucking deal.
How Frozen Should Have Ended
Today, I found a kitten sized chair and, luckily, I had a kitten to put in it.
- Boys, on average, spend two fewer hours doing household chores per week than girls do (they play two hours more).
- If they live in households where children are compensated for doing chores, boys make and save more money.
- A 2009 study conducted by University of Michigan economists found a two-hour gender disparity in responsibilities per week in a study of 3,000 kids.
- 75 percent of girls had chores, while just 65 percent of boys do
- This disparity in chores and free time continues into adulthood all over the world. According to the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), men “report spending more time in activities counted as leisure than women. Gender differences in leisure time are wide across OECD countries.”
- Year after year, studies repeatedly confirm these patterns.
- The problems women face with unequal pay and housework duties actually start in childhood.
- The fact that boys’ chores appear to be more profitable makes the childhood chore gap even more disturbing. Turns out, parents tend to value the work that boys do more.
- Gender stereotypes dictate these patterns.
- men who grow up with sisters do less housework than their spouses and are also significantly more socially conservative.
Just had to bold that bottom point there because of the amount of misogynists who claim that because they have women in their family, they can’t POSSIBLY be sexist ever.
oh my fucking god
I vividly remember all the families in my church where the grade-school boys were goofing off with toys and the girls were being handed younger babies and turned into babysitters.Boys got to be boys, but girls had to be Moms.
Really, it ‘s a serious drag that even little girls today could answer #WithoutTheWageGapIWould